During my group by group previews over a month ago, I came with a pass mark for each team at the tournament. Now the tournament is done, it’s time to see whether they succeeded.
- France: From a neutral perspective, making the final is a great success, however, French fans will be disappointed they didn’t go all the way.
- Romania: A 1-0 loss to Albania in the group stage means they go home winless, and last.
- Albania: Considering they got a win, it’s pretty good for the team who were lucky to qualify.
- Switzerland: Qualifying from Group A was expected, but they reached their goal. Pity about the penalties against Poland.1
- England: An utter, utter disaster. Undefeated in qualifying, one win at the main tournament, and looked like headless chooks in the famed Iceland game.
- Russia: Nothing needs to be said. Terrible.
- Wales: This tournament could hardly have gone better for them. Out of all the teams, they were probably furthest above expectations.
- Slovakia: Made the knockout stage, which is what they would have aimed for.
- Germany: By any standards, a semi final is a good tournament. Like with France, there will be some grumpy Germans.
- Ukraine: Should be disappointed in their performance, and rightly so.
- Poland: Certainly played well in the group stage, and then got lucky one match and unlucky the next. A satisfactory tournament.
- Northern Ireland: I thought they’d do well to score. To win, and make the knockout stage, means that this was no doubt a success.
- Spain: Would have wanted to do better.
- Czech Republic: Not a very good tournament. Goal of quarter finals, actuality of last in the group.
- Turkey: Would be mildly disappointed in their performance.
- Croatia: Probably the only team from group D that could actually be happy with their performance. Topping a group and almost pushing Portugal to penalties was pretty good.
- Belgium: Probably on par, but would have wanted to beat Wales.
- Italy: Slightly less than what they would have wanted, but we’re nitpicking here.
- Republic of Ireland: The goal was to get a point, and they did better than that, upsetting Italy. Top notch.
- Sweden: Disappointing, to say the least.
- Portugal: Come on. They won the tournament, what do you think that is?
- Iceland: I wrote the following in the preview:
Get a point, show the world they’re not the minnows they once were.
They certainly did that, didn’t they?
- Austria: They failed both criteria, make the round of sixteen and don’t be “that team that lost to Iceland”.
- Hungary: Hungary finished top of the group, a great success.
Agree? Disagree? Let me know.
1For a footballing tongue twister, try saying “Pity Portugal powered past Poland on penalties” five times fast.